Sustainably Forested and Hand Selected For unrivalled quality, consistency and durability
Our brand of Iron Woods® Ipe Hardwood Decking has established itself as the gold standard of naturally durable hardwoods. Recognized for its rich honey browns and dark walnut colours Iron Woods® Ipe represents the most highly sought after hardwood decking product in the market and POCO Building Supplies is proud to be the sole distributor of Iron Woods® Ipe in Central, Northern and Western Canada. Ipe (pronounced “ee-pay”) has been standing up to the elements on North American Decks, Docks and Boardwalks for over 40 years. From the heat and humidity of the Eastern Provinces to the four seasons of the Pacific Northwest, complete with cold, wet winters and long hot summers, no matter where you live, no matter what the application – Iron Woods® Ipe Hardwood Decking sets the standard for quality in residential & commercial hardwood decking. Our 100% Genuine Clear Heartwood Iron Woods® Ipe is covered by a 25-year manufacturers warranty for residential application.
PROJECTS WE’VE SUPPLIED
The difference is in the grade
Ipe outlasts and outperforms all other woods
Iron Woods® Ipe Hardwood Decking is strong, durable and naturally resistant to rot, splintering, termites, fire, chemicals, marine borers, and virtually every other threat imaginable. When you consider all of these benefits it’s easy to see why Ipe is fast becoming the choice for many decks and outdoor living spaces in Lower Mainland Vancouver, BC and beyond. Perfectly suited to our climate – you can enjoy the beauty and warmth of a real hardwood deck without the hassle of laborious refinishing of softwoods like Cedar. Ipe does not require a stain or sealer for durability – ever. Left unsealed, it will weather with character to a handsome silver patina. Alternatively, a periodic one-coat application of Penofin Hardwood Oil can be used to enhance and maintain the rich natural colour. Image: Ipe Deck by Houston Landscapes (Photo Credit: Andrea Sirios)
Features & Benefits
- Low Maintenance
- Tremendous Strength and Durability
- Minimal wear in any traffic situation
- Sustainably Harvested (Lacey Act Compliant)
- Available in FSC Certified (Special Order – subject to availability)
- Class ‘A’ Fire Rating
PRO TIP Download our ‘Best Practices‘ Document for everything you need to know about grading, storing, handling and installing Iron Wood® Ipe
SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY PRACTICES
Our partner, Timber Holdings USA works closely with government agencies, sawmills and foresters from all over the world to ensure that Iron Woods® resources are sustainably managed. All Iron Woods® products are regenerated either naturally or by seeding and replanting and are third-party certified as having been produced from legally harvested logs in compliance with all international laws and regulations pertaining to the harvest and trade of both temperate and tropical forest products. Timber Holdings USA remains committed to the protection and preservation of the world’s valuable timber resources and is pleased to bring the benefits of these unique timber products to you. Sustainability is important to us all – and POCO Building Supplies, in partnership with Timber Holdings, does not compromise on these standards.
HARDWOOD DECKING ESSENTIALS
Working with Hardwoods requires skill and finesse in order to get the best results – but using the right tools and products can also help you get the most out of the product and speed up installation. Along with our Batu, Tigerwood and Ipe Hardwood Decking, we also supply a full range of products we like to call ‘Hardwood Decking Essentials’.
Our commitment to quality
POCO Building Supplies will never sacrifice quality for price. We pride ourselves on consistently supplying the absolute best quality Ipe Hardwood Decking lumber available in North America. We do not shop around and jump from one supplier to the next in order to simply put the product on the market. Our goal is to ensure that you are getting exactly what you pay for, which is the unrivalled grade and unmatched quality of Iron Woods® Ipe. Our exclusive supply relationship means that when you order Iron Woods® Ipe, that’s exactly what you get. We do not deal with lesser grades, ‘B-Grade’ lumber, or substitute similar coloured hardwoods like Cumaru, or Yellow Balau. We supply only genuine, sustainably forested, 100% heartwood clear Iron Woods Premium Select/FEQ Grade Ipe. Image: Penthouse Ipe Deck by Inside Out Design & Build (Photo Credit: Andrea Sirios)
LUMBER SIZES, DIMENSIONS & AVAILABILITY
As the leading hardwood decking supplier in Vancouver. BC, we supply a full range of standard decking, railing and fascia profiles and dimensional lumber sizes to suit your needs with available lengths up to 22′. Rough sawn (sometimes called full-sawn or full dimension) Ipe along with custom timbers and other profiles are available by special order. We can custom mill Ipe to a variety of dimensions and profiles. Common milling includes shaping the edges of deck planks for Hidden Fasteners. Please allow minimum 2 weeks for custom millwork.
For the customer who wants a hardwood deck but is building on a budget, economy decking sacrifices nothing in quality, only thickness. Available in both ‘Solid Edge’ or ‘Pre-Grooved’ profiles in 8-20′ lengths
- 1 x 4 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 0.75″ x 3.5″)
- 1 x 6 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 0.75″ x 5.5″)
Deck planks that are 1″ thick are more stable and less likely to cup. Where possible, we will always recommend this using thickness if your budget allows. Available in both ‘Solid Edge’ or ‘Pre-Grooved’ profiles in 8-20′ lengths
- 5/4 x 4 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1″ x 3.5″)
- 5/4 x 6 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1″ x 5.5″)
- 5/4 x 8 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1″ x 7.5″)
FASCIA & RISER
- 1 x 8 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 0.75″ x 7.25″)
- 1 x 10 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 0.75″ x 9.25″)
- 1 x 12 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 0.75″ x 11.25″)
Custom Sizes and Profiles available. Please contact us with details of your project requirements.
railing / bench components
- 2 x 2 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1.5″ x 1.5″)
- 2 x 3 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1.5″ x 3.5″)
- 2 x 4 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1.5″ x 3.5″)
- 2 x 6 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1.5″ x 5.5″)
- 2 x 8 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1.5″ x 7.5″)
- 2 x 10 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1.5″ x 9.5″)
- 2 x 12 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 1.5″ x 11.5″)
- 4 x 4 Iron Woods® Ipe (actual size 3.44″ x 3.44″)
Tired of that ugly old deck that came with the house? Maybe you’re ready to give that prehistoric patio its walking papers, but don’t want a large project? If that’s the case then Iron Woods Ipe deck tiles may be your answer. Our patented Iron Woods Interlocking Deck Tile System gives you all of the beauty, strength and durability of Iron Woods Ipe without the long lead-time or costly installation.
Give your deck the wow factor
Many of the decks you see on this page have been finished with Penofin® Hardwood Formula. Designed to penetrate dense hardwoods, this unique formula absorbs beyond the surface, nourishing and stabilizing the wood and most importantly – it does not create a surface film. Using sustainably harvested Brazilian Rosewood Oil, Penofin® Hardwood Formula is the choice of wood experts who know that penetration is key to longevity and beauty when applying to hardwoods. Penofin’s advanced formula is designed to allow the wood to breathe, an essential factor when working with exotic hardwoods such as Mahogany, Teak, Ipe, Brazillian Redwood, Tigerwood and Batu.
IPE CLIP® EXTREME™ FASTENER SYSTEM
Unlike most all-metal hidden deck fasteners, which can react with wood causing staining, the Ipe Clip® is moulded of a malleable plastic polymer resin coating (further adding UV & chemical resistant qualities), allowing for the natural expansion/contraction of wood decking. This rigid, hardened plastic coated, stainless steel insert firmly holds decking to joists (up to 3X more hold-down strength than other edge-mount deck fasteners), eliminating decking screws from pulling through as the deck material expands. Designed for exotic hardwoods, the colour of the plastic resin also works to further camouflage & conceal our fasteners between the board gaps for a more sleek, upscale surface. A deck, patio or terrace that is installed with DeckWise® Hidden Deck Fasteners will make your new build safer, longer lasting, more durable, and better look with a flawless, smooth surface finish.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Attachment of deck clip to material at a 45° angle into joists for maximum hold-down
- Integrated gap spacer legs in 3/32” (Extreme), 5/32” (Extreme4) or 1/4” (ExtremeKD)
- Stainless steel reinforcement for extreme hardness
- Use with lengthwise pre-grooved slots, job site biscuit joiner or router
- A Symmetrical wood edge profile allows for reversible boards
- Standard edge profile of 5/32” (4.0mm) by 1/2” (13.0mm)
COMPLETE KITS INCLUDE: (175) IPE CLIP® Extreme™ Hidden Deck Fasteners (190) #8×2″ Colormatch Black Stainless Steel Star Drive Screws (12) 3/8″ Tapered Ipe plugs (1) 1/8″ High Speed Drill Bit (1) Screw Gun Driver Bit (1) Instruction Sheet All Sizes In Stock (Black Only): Extreme (3/32″), Extreme4 (5/32″) and ExtremeKD (1/4″)
STARBORN PRO-PLUG SYSTEM FOR WOOD
FOR A WOODWORKERS FINISH CHOOSE THE PRO PLUG SYSTEM FROM STARBORN
PRO PLUG® SYSTEM for Wood combines the strength of top-down fastening with the high-end finish of face grain wood plugs. This comprehensive system allows deck builders to drill, screw, glue and plug all types of hardwoods in a fraction of the time required for traditional plug fastening methods. All of the Pro Plug System components have been carefully and precisely engineered to maximize performance and provide the best-finished result. The system features face grain wood plugs, stainless fasteners, a pre-drilling and counter-boring tool and a glue nozzle that applies glue to the sidewalls of the counter-bored hole. See opposite for available wood types.
AVAILABLE SIZES: 100pce, 350pce and 1050pce Kits
FEATURES & BENEFITS
1. FREE SPINNING STOP COLLAR WITH O-RING The stop collar spins free of the drill and counterbore assembly and is fitted with a rubber o-ring that prevents damage to the board surface. The hole is complete when the stop collar stops spinning. 2. COUNTERBORE The case hardened counterbore portion of the tool is designed to perfectly match the geometry of the System’s specially designed fasteners and plugs. 3. DRILL BIT Drill bits feature Powerbolic fluting, which cuts through decking and flooring more than twice as fast as standard wood bits, even dense hardwoods. The Tool also comes packaged with a spare stub bit, designed for plug-only installations (with no fasteners). 4. FASTENERS Decking kits come with Grade 305 stainless steel, star drive, 8 x 2-1/2″ plug fasteners. Flooring kits come with zinc plated, #2 square drive, 8 x 1-5/8″ plug fasteners. 5. PRO PLUG GLUE NOZZLE The patented Pro Plug Glue Nozzle is designed to apply standard wood glue to the sidewalls of the hole created by the Pro Plug Tool for Wood, in order to achieve maximum holding power. The Nozzle attaches to any interior or exterior 4 or 8-ounce bottle of Titebond® wood glue and any 4, 8 or 16-ounce bottle of Elmer’s® wood glue. 6. WOOD PLUGS Face grain wood plugs are available in many species. A unique chamfer and reduced flare angle offer easy insertion and an extremely tight fit with minimal to zero push-ups from weathering. Plugs are inserted completely, with no need for sawing or chiselling.