Budget Friendly Hardwood Decking Use versatile Batu for Decks & Privacy Screens
Batu Hardwood Decking is a distinctive wood which lends elegance to any project. Suitable for a variety of applications, from Decks and Porches to Privacy Screens and Fences, Batu provides the rich, classic look of more expensive woods like teak or mahogany at a fraction of the price. Versatile, durable and beautiful, our Batu Hardwood Decking is the finest quality material available on the market today and the superior choice for your next outdoor project. Batu Hardwood Decking is the first choice for any job that requires a superior finish, natural durability and long-lasting performance. In a unique partnership with Nova USA Wood, we are proud to bring to the Canadian market a range of premium quality Batu Decking that provides customers with a product that offers long-lasting durability and visual appeal with minimal maintenance efforts.
Strong, Naturally Beautiful and Stable
Nova Batu Hardwood Decking closely resembles the rich classic look of Mahogany. Heartwood from Batu hardwood ranges from a medium red to a deep red / brown with purple tinges and often has resin canals with white contents in concentric lines on end surfaces which produce a warm and visually striking effect. The texture is moderately fine and grain is typically interlocked.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Naturally Beautiful
- Rich Red Color
- Lengths up to 20’
- Kiln Dried for Maximum Stability
- Resists Checking
- Low Maintenance
- Long-Term Sustainability
- 25 Year Warranty
- Class A Fire Rated
- Rot & Insect Resistant
- 3x Harder than Douglas Fir, 7x Harder than Cedar
- Sourced From: Southeastern Asia
- Expected Life: 50+ years
SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY PRACTICES
Batu Hardwood Decking comes from tropical hardwood forests in Indonesia which are essentially public lands, managed and protected by the Government of Indonesia. Natural forest utilization in Indonesia was started in the 1970s as a national development program. Indonesia has designated all forest lands according to four classifications in order to ensure a sustainable balance between preservation and development. They have been named: production forests, conversion forests, protection forests, and conservation forests or national parks and wildlife refuges. About 113 million hectares have thus been set aside as permanent forests (for the production, protection and conservation groupings). Two forest certification systems are in use at present in Indonesia: the Indonesian ecolabelling system developed by LEI (Lembaga Ekolabel Indonesia); and the Forest Stewardship Council scheme. Although the LEI and FSC certification systems were originally developed quite separately, the two organizations have been working to bring them closer together over the past ten years. LEI and the FSC signed a Memorandum of Understanding in September 1999, and strengthened this working agreement with a Joint Certification Protocol on September 20, 2000. Lacey Act Compliance Sheet
LUMBER SIZES, DIMENSIONS & AVAILABILITY
Our Batu Hardwood Decking offers a complete package for all your outdoor projects and is available in 1×4, 1×6, 5/4×4, 5/4×6, 2×4, 2×6 and 4×4 sizes plus handrail, balusters, T&G porch flooring and trim boards from 1×8 through to 2×12. With a rich natural beauty and legendary hardiness that is not easily found in other decking materials, Batu Decking is the natural answer for exterior decking applications.
For the customer who wants a hardwood deck but is building on a budget, economy decking sacrifices nothing in quality, only thickness.
- 1 x 4 BATU Red Balau (actual size 0.75″ x 3.5″)
- 1 x 6 BATU Red Balau (actual size 0.75″ x 5.5″) IN STOCK: 8-16′ lengths
Deck planks that are 1″ thick are more stable and less likely to cup. Where possible, we will always recommend using this thickness if your budget allows.
- 5/4 x 4 BATU Red Balau (actual size 1″ x 3.5″)
- 5/4 x 6 BATU Red Balau (actual size 1″ x 5.5″) SPECIAL ORDER (2-3 days): 8-20′ lengths
FASCIA & RISER
- 1 x 8 BATU Red Balau (actual size 0.75″ x 7.25″)
- 1 x 10 BATU Red Balau (actual size 0.75″ x 9.25″) SPECIAL ORDER (2 weeks): 8-20′ lengths
railing / bench components
- 2 x 2 BATU Red Balau (actual size 1.5″ x 1.5″)
- 2 x 3 BATU Red Balau (actual size 1.5″ x 3.5″)
- 2 x 4 BATU Red Balau (actual size 1.5″ x 3.5″)
- 2 x 6 BATU Red Balau (actual size 1.5″ x 5.5″)
- 2 x 8 BATU Red Balau (actual size 1.5″ x 7.5″)
- 4 x 4 BATU Red Balau (actual size 3.44″ x 3.44″) SPECIAL ORDER (2 weeks): 8-20′ lengths
STARBORN PRO-PLUG SYSTEM FOR WOOD
FOR A WOODWORKERS FINISH CHOOSE THE PRO PLUG SYSTEM FROM STARBORN
PRO PLUG® SYSTEM for Wood combines the strength of top-down fastening with the high-end finish of face grain wood plugs. This comprehensive system allows deck builders to drill, screw, glue and plug all types of hardwoods in a fraction of the time required for traditional plug fastening methods. All of the Pro Plug System components have been carefully and precisely engineered to maximize performance and provide the best-finished result. The system features face grain wood plugs, stainless fasteners, a pre-drilling and counter-boring tool and a glue nozzle that applies glue to the sidewalls of the counter-bored hole. See opposite for available wood types.
AVAILABLE SIZES: 100pce, 350pce and 1050pce Kits
FEATURES & BENEFITS
1. FREE SPINNING STOP COLLAR WITH O-RING The stop collar spins free of the drill and counterbore assembly and is fitted with a rubber o-ring that prevents damage to the board surface. The hole is complete when the stop collar stops spinning. 2. COUNTERBORE The case hardened counterbore portion of the tool is designed to perfectly match the geometry of the System’s specially designed fasteners and plugs. 3. DRILL BIT Drill bits feature Powerbolic fluting, which cuts through decking and flooring more than twice as fast as standard wood bits, even dense hardwoods. The Tool also comes packaged with a spare stub bit, designed for plug-only installations (with no fasteners). 4. FASTENERS Decking kits come with Grade 305 stainless steel, star drive, 8 x 2-1/2? plug fasteners. Flooring kits come with zinc plated, #2 square drive, 8 x 1-5/8? plug fasteners. 5. PRO PLUG GLUE NOZZLE The patented Pro Plug Glue Nozzle is designed to apply standard wood glue to the sidewalls of the hole created by the Pro Plug Tool for Wood, in order to achieve maximum holding power. The Nozzle attaches to any interior or exterior 4 or 8-ounce bottle of Titebond® wood glue and any 4, 8 or 16-ounce bottle of Elmer’s® wood glue. 6. WOOD PLUGS Face grain wood plugs are available in many species. A unique chamfer and reduced flare angle offer easy insertion and an extremely tight fit with minimal to zero push-ups from weathering. Plugs are inserted completely, with no need for sawing or chiselling.
HOW-TO INSTALLATION VIDEO
Give your deck the wow factor
THE BEST EXTERIOR WOOD STAIN EVER PRODUCED ExoShield wood stain offers superior protection for exterior wood applications such as decking, siding and outdoor furniture. Our secret formula protects your project while allowing the natural beauty of the wood to remain the focus. Using a proprietary blend of Tung Oil, UV Blockers, Fungicide, and Trans-oxide pigments, the exclusive marine grade ExoShield formula provides long-lasting protection for exterior wood decking, siding & outdoor furniture while using only the finest marine grade components. Our own installation guides for exterior hardwood decking & siding require that you use an oil-based deck stain, which is why we are proud to offer the very best exterior wood oil stain on the market.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Up to 800 SF of Coverage on Hardwoods
- Low VOC, All Natural Product
- Marine Grade Components
- Longest Lasting Wood Stain Available
- Suitable for use on Ipe, Batu Mahogany, Cumaru, Tigerwood, Hardwood & Softwoods
OVER-ENGINEERED TO BE THE BEST DECK STAIN
BUILT WITH THE FINEST MARINE GRADE COMPONENTS
We use trans-oxide pigments and UV blockers in ExoShield deck stain to protect your deck from harmful UV rays, adding to the longevity of the structure and colour. The pigments used in ExoShield deck stain will bring out and protect the natural colours of the wood it’s used on, providing a long-lasting vivid result. ExoShield wood stain will lengthen the lifespan of the wood’s colour, delaying the greying process. When applied every one to two years, your deck will maintain a nearly brand-new appearance, with very little maintenance.
We strongly recommend face fasten installation only for all Batu Hardwood Decking. By nature, this species does not perform well using hidden fasteners such as EB-TY and Ipe Clip which may result in failure. For a hidden fastener look, use the Pro-Plug system for Wood. Please note that whilst they are adequate and perhaps more suited to other species of softwood decking such as Western Red Cedar, both Kreg Jig and Camo Fastening Systems do not meet the manufacturers specifications in terms of approved fasteners and can result in a less than finished look in comparison to Starborn Pro Plug System or Starborn Stainless Steel ‘Headcote’ Screws Although Batu Hardwood Decking requires minimal maintenance in comparison to softwoods like Cedar or Treated Decking, just as any other species of wood, depending on your aesthetic requirements, specific maintenance techniques are required in order to keep your investment in impeccable shape. Without an Oil finish and left to weather, over time the colour of the deck will begin to fade to more of a beige/grey colour when exposed to the elements. Luckily one of the benefits of Batu Hardwood Decking is the fact that it can be repeatedly brought back to life through a simple refinishing of the deck. For more ‘pop’ from your Batu Deck, apply an initial single coat of Penofin Hardwood Formula and refinish seasonally, or as required. A good rule of thumb is that if you prefer the look of your deck when it’s wet to when it’s dry, it’s probably time to apply a new coat of Oil.
Hardwood Decking Essentials
Working with Hardwoods requires skill and finesse in order to get the best results – but using the right tools and products can also help you get the most out of the product and speed up installation. Along with our Hardwood Decking, we also supply a full range of products we like to call ‘Hardwood Decking Essentials’.